What comes to mind when you think of an eating disorder? My guess is that a lot of the common myths about them appear and work to create a picture for you. Instead of talking about that, let’s take a minute to look at the facts surrounding them.
Eating disorders are a dangerous mental illness that can be deadly. They do not discriminate when it comes to who they affect and are very complex in nature. When it comes to treating them, early intervention is key and loved ones play a crucial role in treatment. They do this by engaging in family therapy that can consist of immediate family members, extended ones, or even close friends.
Here is what family therapy can provide throughout the recovery process:
- Education around eating disorders
- A safe space to discuss struggles throughout the process
- Assist family members in developing ways to support one another
- Facilitate open and honest communication
- Strengthen the family’s ability to work together as a team
There is something powerful and encouraging about people coming together to work towards a common goal.