This 6 credit in-person training was developed to provide professionals with an introduction to the process based therapy approach, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). ACT is a psychotherapeutic model that has been consistently demonstrated to be effective with a wide range of mental, emotional, and behavioral issues in a variety of clinical settings. In this one day training, participants will learn the fundamentals of the model in order to start integrating ACT into their direct practice.
Target audience: social workers, counselors, psychologists, marriage and family therapists Content level: beginner
- Describe the goals and theoretical foundation of ACT from a clinical perspective
- Identify when clients are engaging in experiential avoidance and promote greater acceptance
- Distinguish between cognitive fusion and cognitive defusion
- Apply skills and interventions that promote present moment awareness
- Recognize when a client is limited by their conceptualized self
- Explain the role of personal values in therapy and distinguish values from goals
- Recognize when clients are behaviorally stuck and select interventions that promote committed action
- Role play the application of the 6 core processes
- Examine the role of the therapeutic relationship in the successful application of ACT
- 9:00am – 9:30am: Participant Introduction, Training Overview
- 9:30am – 10:30am: Introduction to ACT; Functional Contextualism; Therapeutic Relationship
- 10:30am – 10:45am: Break
- 10:45am – 12:30pm: Present Moment Awareness; Cognitive Defusion, Acceptance
- 12:30pm – 1:30pm: Lunch Break (Lunch Provided by Third Wave)
- 1:30pm – 3:15pm: Self-as-Context; Values; Committed Action
- 3:15pm – 3:30pm: Break
- 3:30pm – 4:30pm: Integrating Into Practice; Questions and Answers
Tom Parkes LCSW
Psychotherapist and Trainer
Tom Parkes LCSW is a skilled psychotherapist and trainer with a particular interest in the process-based clinical approach, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). He has completed intensive training in ACT with individuals like Dr. Steven Hayes and Dr. Russ Harris. Tom facilitates a regular ACT consultation group and is the host of the ACT focused podcast, Mentally Flexible. Tom is an experienced trainer and has led professional trainings across the United States for hundreds of professionals.
- Professional: $300 | Early Bird (by 8/25): $250
- Student: $200 | Early Bird (by 8/25): $150
- Please use QR code or call Third Wave to register by September 5, 2023.
- Lunch is provided (Vegan/Vegetarian/GF options upon request)
A select number of needs-based scholarships are available to help promote equity and access for diverse communities, including: those in financial need; those identified as BIPOC; those identified as LGBTQIA+; military service members/veterans; those who are clergy or Chaplins; those serving under-resourced areas.
If you have any questions about registration, scholarships, or accommodation requests – please reach out to Megan Davis LCSW at email@example.com or front office (919) 886-4052
Participants must attend the entire training and complete the course evaluation in order to receive credit.
Certificates of completion will be emailed to participants within 10 business days of training.
Social Workers and Counselors will receive 6 continuing education credits for successfully completing this course
Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) – 1 Day Introduction Course, Course #5007, is approved by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program to be offered by Third Wave Psychotherapy PLLC as an individual course. Regulatory boards are the final authority on courses accepted for continuing education credit. ACE course approval period: 06/15/2023 – 06/15/2025. Social workers completing this course receive 6 clinical continuing education credits.
“Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT): 1 Day Introduction has been approved by NBCC for NBCC credit. Third Wave Psychotherapy PLLC is solely responsible for all aspects of the program. NBCC Approval No. SP-4267.”